I'm hoping to go from this fizzing high-anxiety to talking about lovely special bits of the trip. I do promise some pics along the way.
Here are a few factoids about me & The Trip:
- I've been saving for this for 5+ years.
- When I started saving, I didn't actually think it would ever happen, but a few fortuitous things happened to accelerate my (extended) timetable.
- I started planning with a list that included masses of "touristy" things
- I've ended with a list that includes only those historic and brainy things that really appeal to me, and none of the tourist things
- I am thrilled & overexcited & a little bit terrified to be doing this.
- I'm taking things that I am prepared to ditch on the return trip & won't break the bank to do so (cheap clothing, socks, toiletry containers, etc)
- I've set myself what I consider a generous per diem (max amount to spend per day) and I intend to come back w/ extra cash
- I'm taking my own pillowcases. I can't stand the hotel ones.
- a laptop/tablet - I'm wacked out enough about getting through customs and generally keeping track of all my stuff without having to worry about additional electronics
- fussy clothing - it's strictly black jeans, 1pr stretchy pants for the flight, tank tops & lightweight cardigans, with a glorified windbreaker-type jacket & water resistant shoes
- jewelry - I'm taking 2 pr of very simple/cheap earrings & a watch. I never wear a watch, but I don't want to be yanking my phone out every 5min to make sure I'm on time for ... whatever.
- Worries - Once I get on the plane, once my butt hits the seat, all worries about the trip will be left on the runway.
Are there things that you take & things you leave at home?