Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Where does the time go?

I love to read other people's reading lists.  I find all kinds of things to add to my list (or mark off).  I have stacks of books sitting around my (tiny) living area, waiting for my hand and eye to connect with them, to give them life.

Several cozy mysteries, suspense, biographies (Madeleine Albright, Henry Kissinger, one about the men who started Bletchley Park [can't remember name]).  There have to be 50+ books in that TBR pile.


However.

I work full time, drive +2hr per day there & back, am working on my own novel(la), am involved with 2 writers' groups, have a significant other who also demands time, volunteer at a WWII museum, and also have grandchildren, sisters, an aging mother & many other relatives & friends who demand my time.

How the hell am I supposed to divvy-up the time to actually *read* ??


I took a major trip recently (about which I promise to post), and what did I bring back as souvenirs?  Books of course.  But... these were books I couldn't find here, or that cost a LOT to have shipped.  Historical reference books  (The Women Spies of WWII,  The SOE Training Book, etc).  Things I need/want to read as reference for the character I'm building in my own work of fiction (ex-OSS/CIA type).  Then there were the books I received as gifts from a friend I met there... Disasters of Norwich / Ghosts of Norwich / latest M&B romance.  So I came back with 7 books packed in my already stuffed suitcase, in addition to the journal & notebooks I took with me.  (I left a few t-shirts/tank tops in the trash bin to accommodate them)

Again, the question becomes *when am I going to read all this stuff?!*
I can only hope to have more time for indulging in reading as I make my way toward retirement (7yrs away).  In the meantime, I will just get to them as I can, stolen moments with someone else's words to entertain or enlighten me.






3 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you'd had your trip by now and if you would be blogging about it! Look forward to reading about it. I tend to read in bed, before I go to sleep and with my morning coffee first thing in the morning. If I'm really ambitious - and not very stressed - I'll read something light before bed and then read a chapter or set number of pages of something more serious in the AM. There has been the odd book that 'kidnapped' me, but I try not to let them stop me doing anything at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley - I have completed the trip & yes will be blogging about it later this week. Still sorting pics & notes... catching up on life in general.
    I used to have 3 books going at a time - one in the morning, another at lunch & yet another at the end of the day. Now, I just don't seem to have the energy to keep up with it all. I bought books during my trip (of course) but didn't even pick one up while I was traveling, which is unusual for me.
    I'm also working on a genealogy project right now, too, which I will blog about later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, genealogy, there's a time-absorbing hobby! I had my DNA tested and I've hardly been off the computer since!

      Delete