Friday, May 19, 2017

Presto-Chango 1...2...3...

Alternative Work Schedule.
In my case, I'll be working from home full time.  Still keeping the same hours as if I were in the office, but not making that 2hr drive to and from.

What this really means: I'm going to live in my mother's house for the next ~year.  It's not permanent, and it's a good way to hit the RESET button on my life and my finances.  The final move is 2 months out & already I'm downsizing.  Removing tons of items from my closets & making arrangements to drop them off at one or another thrift shops, or have them picked up.  I've wanted  to ditch the awful furniture I purchased right after my DH died for a long time.  I don't know what I was thinking at the time, but this stuff is awful and just has to go. I plan to replace it in some form when I move back out on my own.

Sounds like I'm all hyped up and ready to go on this move, right? But the truth is, I'm not; there's a lot of anxiety surrounding this decision. We lived in the country when I was growing up, and the thing I remember most about it is the isolation. The difference is, now everything is within a 10 minute drive, I have my phone and the internet and I'll be able to stay connected to friends and family.

There are issues with the house. The biggest issue is that, well, it's hers. Then there's the leak in the master bath, the skunks that have taken up residence under the house, the constant insects, and the acre of land that must be maintained. But this will help me decide whether I want to work toward owning my own place (much smaller), or whether I'm really more interested in finding a condo and focusing on travel. Whichever I decide, it will be at least a year out. I'll be spending that time working on paying off some credit card debt and padding my savings account.

I'm talking a lot here about the financial end of this deal, but there is something more important for me that will happen.  TIME.  No driving, no running from here to there constantly in an all fired hurry, etc.  I'm looking forward to downtime - there's been precious little of that in my life.
Here are my intentions/goals for this move:
  • breathe
  • write
  • garden 
  • take up watercolors
  • work on genealogy 
  • cook
  • Think
  • Rest
  • Renew

What's on your horizon?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great decision for the time being. Hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete